CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

"Scooter"




Dennis calls Ethan "Scooter" now because he looks like he's ready for a ride with his helmet! After a *very* rough beginning (it was too tight for the first 3 days) and several adjustments, Ethan is a happy boy who barely knows he's wearing his bright blue helmet. I knew it was going to be a difficult time for me as his mommy, but I was very unprepared for how hard it would be for him at first. I had never heard of a helmet making a baby cry like this, and it was heart-wrenching for Dennis and me to try to figure out if he just didn't like it or if it didn't fit correctly. We've gotten the expected stares and lack of eye contact, and I believe I've gotten a taste of what it's like to have a child with a disability. People just don't know what to do, and they don't know what's wrong, so they just look away. Some are great and just smile back at Ethan, which makes my day. I do believe this will be a long three months, but I'm getting used to my sweet boy in his helmet!